Kale Salad with Almonds
- 1/2 c. raisins
- 7 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- about 4 c. finely chopped kale, stems removed
- 1/2 c. almonds, lightly toasted
- grated rind from one orange
- orange sections
- Place raisins in small bowl and soak overnight in 5 tbsp. balsamic vinegar. Or, if you are like me, just microwave on low for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining 2 tbsp. vinegar and whatever drains from the raisins once they’ve soaked, oil, salt, syrup and orange rind. Pour over chopped kale and stir thoroughly. Add orange sections and nuts. Toss.
My measurements are approximate–if you find it too dry, use a little more oil and vinegar, sticking to the 3-2-1 rule (ie. 3 parts oil, 2 parts vinegar, 1 part sweet).
It’s important to chop the kale very fine. I chop it once in fine slices and then turn the pile and chop again finely.
This is a great “make-ahead” salad as the kale actually tastes better as it marinades in the dressing. In fact, leftovers the next day are just as delicious!
For another fabulous recipe for kale, check out this Watermelon Kale Salad at Living Life With Food. A meal in itself!