What to do with an enormous head of romaine lettuce….An enormous caesar salad!
- One farm-share size head of romaine lettuce (or 2-3 store bought ones)
- 8 slices of bacon
- a few pieces of leftover bread
- 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus 2 tbsp. for the dressing)
- fresh garlic scapes
- 1/2 c. fresh garlic scapes, chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 c. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and drain lettuce, tearing into bite-size pieces.
- Fry bacon until crispy and allow to cool.
- Put all dressing ingredients in blender and blend on high a few minutes.
- Butter bread slices on both sides and sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. Then toast under broiler on both sides until brown. Cut into cubes.
Add bacon and cheese to lettuce and then dressing just before serving. Last of all, sprinkle with croutons.
Notes: The scapes are a great early season alternative before garlic is ready. They add a lovely pale green colour to the dressing. As well, although home-made croutons are rather time-consuming, the taste pays off big time (just don’t burn them like I did–the picture is burnt side down, of course). Thanks to Dick Janssen for tips on the dressing 🙂